Mar 17, 2009

The Long Journey


It probably takes about 10 minutes to get to my house to the Sheraton Boston Hotel. If I wanted too, I could wake up an hour before I need to be there, shower, have a muffin and walk, drive of take the T to Boston. My, how we take things for granted.


While, I along with my fellow Niemans will have the shortest distance to travel, Modou Nyang, will perhaps have the longest. Modou will be joining us from the West African nation of Gambia. On Wednesday morning, Modou will travel from Gambia to Senegal. From there, he will catch a flight to New York City, arriving at 8 a.m. Thursday. On Friday morning, he will catch a bus from New York to Boston. Whew.

I asked Modou why would he come from so far away.
“To learn, as a young journalist without formal training as a journalist,” he said. “I am aspiring to be better.”
Modou said he is interested in writing and editing sports and political stories.
“I want to develop a better understanding of narrative and network with colleagues to share experiences on how to better the lot of journalist around the world and my country in particular,” Modou said.
We are all looking forward to meeting you Modou.



**THIS IS THE JUMP CONTENT. REPLACE THIS TEXT WITH THE FULL BLOG POST. DELETE IF THERE IS NO JUMP**

No comments:

Post a Comment